[Stoves] [biochar] Pine char gasification

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Fri Jan 3 07:15:51 CST 2014

Lists,

    1.  This (up now to #18) thread started late last month (only on the biochar list) with Tom Miles relaying a story from Crispin on Purdue researchers making a fuel from char.  I think one could write a novel about this tortuous path.  I decided to respond because of Crispin’s “blah, blah, blah” insert below.

    2.  For those who wonder if there is a different version of the human side of the terra preta story, I suggest a short version by Dr.  Johannes Lehmann  (Biochar’s principal spokesperson, and who also did a thesis on this topic in Brazil.
     http://www.css.cornell.edu/faculty/lehmann/research/terra%20preta/terrapretamain.html
and a longer one (because it was highlighted in the short version and is free) by same author at
     http://www.css.cornell.edu/faculty/lehmann/publ/PlantSoil%20249,%20343-357,%202003%20Lehmann.pdf

   Anyone have something more up to date?

    3.  I find the interesting number for terra preta is not gm C/kg soil, but rather tonnes C/ha -because of the depth where C is found in anthrosols  (a term that Crispin presumably denies is valid - at least as far as the terra preta part of Brazil is concerned.)

Ron