[Stoves] [biochar] Re: Chaff cutters and wood choppers

Mark Ludlow mark at ludlow.com
Sat Jan 4 02:23:57 CST 2014

Hi Paul,

It would be useful if you could state a price point that would make
equipment like this realistic. The machine Rolf describes is typical, but I
appreciate the fact that limbs and trunks are fed at an angle. Shearing at
an angle reduces the shear force required and thus increases the output per
unit of power input. I could build a no-frills (except for safety systems)
chipper like the one Rolf describes, here in México, at cost, if you are
interested. México is the productivity-adjusted, lowest-cost producer in the
world, as of 2014. Yet many are unemployed.

If you tell me some number, say $/MT of green input, this gives us a target
to design against. I think that energy-storage (flywheel) to accommodate
impulse loading may work, but the amount of energy required is easily
calculated and is reflected in the nominal hourly-input rating.

I will support development costs (as a non-profit) if you will tell me there
is a market for XXX Machines at XXX Cost on the horizon.

Buen Viajo en Africa!

Mark