[Stoves] [biochar-policy] New report, highly favorable to biochar

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sun Jan 5 12:57:36 CST 2014

Kevin,  cc list

   Not sure if you bought and read the paper.  If so, congratulations, but I suggest you re-read it.  If you didn’t buy it or otherwise find it in a technical library, I hope you will.

    The word “soil” appears three times - including in its definition of biochar.  The major statement reads:

   "Of the three core geoengineering options, biochar performed most highly against the co-benefit criterion, scoring moderately through its co-benefits to agriculture, namely: improved soil conditioning; increased water retention and related lowered irrigation demands; and increased productivity and yields.”

    This (for co-benefits) is one of five rankings (out of eight) of “most highly” (the top score reported).

   The great beauty of biochar is there is zero conflict between the “geo/climate” function and the soil improvement function - apparently difficult for some to realize.  We are going to see a lot more biochar for soil improvement when more “geo/climate” analysts realize biochar is the best of their options.  The authors of this paper are saying so.  I don’t know any other that has, although that is pretty common for those starting to look at biochar on the soil side.

One of my complaints about the otherwise wonderful article is they failed to mention that biochar production also provides, not requires, energy.  This being important to the stoves list to which I am also now sending this exchange.

  So in sum, you are incorrect.  The article (peer-reviewed) has as much or more on soils as you could expect in a paper with its title - and this is ranking biochar higher even than afforestation (which was mentioned, but not in the competition).

Ron