[Stoves] [biochar-policy] New report, highly favorable to biochar

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sun Jan 5 18:53:44 CST 2014

Kevin:

   I have decided it best that I reply generally and not reply to your specifics.  The reasons:

a.  It will encourage you and others to write long comments on articles they have not read.  I’ll bet there is a technical library somewhere near - or write the authors.
b.  You are trying to encourage use of the words “climatechar”  and “geochar” that are nonsense words and will lead to confusion where none should exist.
c.  I don’t think you will ever agree that when biochar is placed in the ground you get two benefits automatically.  There is no conflict between a CDR benefit and a soil benefit.  That is me talking, not the article (which you have to read to understand).  No one is going to put char in soil (only then called biochar) or anywhere for climate reasons alone.  (There are serious proposals to do that for biomass, not char.)
d.  It should be obvious to anyone reading the abstract that of course this was a paper focussing on geoengineeering.  I never claimed otherwise.  What I did claim will not be good news to climate and biochar deniers - that biochar appears now to be at the top of the CDR alternatives.  Four years ago it was near the bottom.  I am talking CDR, not soil;  these are different communities.  Very different.  With commensurate objectives.  Who are not talking to each other.
e.  It is almost impossible to understand the argument when there is no consistency on the meaning below of blue and black print.

Ron