[Stoves] Invitation to the National Clean Cookstoves and Fuels Conference, February 4-7, 2014, Nairobi, Kenya

Radha.Muthiah radha.muthiah at cleancookstoves.org
Fri Jan 10 08:31:54 CST 2014

[cid:97e5c834-df68-4d96-8ad6-d7eb32c5cd01]

Dear Partners,

On behalf of the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves (Alliance) and the Clean Cookstoves Association of Kenya (CCAK), it is our pleasure to invite you to a national conference to promote Clean Cookstoves and Fuels for all in Kenya from 4th to 7th February 2014 at Safari Park Hotel in Nairobi, Kenya. Please see the attached agenda for more detailed information.

The Alliance's goal is to catalyze the adoption of clean and efficient cookstoves and fuels by households through a market-based approach that will achieve the following objectives in Kenya:

  *   Reduce Household Air Pollution (HAP) including smoke, particulate matters and other toxic gases emanating from open fires and traditional cookstoves. HAP is  estimated to contribute over 14,300 premature deaths annually in Kenya;

  *   Reduce environmental degradation. Firewood and unsustainable charcoal burning are primary drivers of reduction in Kenya's forest cover, which now stands at less than 3%.  Over  68% of the Kenyan population relies on firewood and charcoal for cooking and heating, while in rural areas over 95% of the population depends on firewood for cooking and heating;

  *   Empower women and improve livelihoods: Women and children are the primary victims of collecting firewood and traveling long distances in search of fuel, which limits their time for other productive activities and leaves them vulnerable to gender-based violence. Engaging women in the cookstoves and fuels value chain helps to improve their livelihoods, both economically and socially.

Kenyan clean cooking stakeholders developed and adopted a Country Action Plan (CAP) in April 2012 facilitated by the Alliance that set a national target of 7 million households adopting clean and efficient cookstoves by the year 2020. This is part of the Alliance's global goal of facilitating the adoption of clean and efficient cookstoves by 100 million households by the year 2020. To achieve this ambitious target, the organizing partners are committed to facilitating the process and providing leadership to achieve this ambitious goal in a sustainable way. As stakeholders, we will be evaluating our progress - interventions to catalyze the market this past year, challenges we encountered and further opportunities - to inform the best way to implement the CAP to ensure we remain on track to achieving our 2020 goal.

To participate in the National Clean Cookstoves and Fuels Conference please send a confirmation email with your contact details to kenya at cleancookstoves.org<mailto:kenya at cleancookstoves.org>. Those wishing to exhibit their cookstoves or fuels on Tuesday, participate in the cookstoves and fuels technology camp on Thursday, or participate in the gender empowerment training on Friday must indicate this in their email (note that the technology camp and gender training is limited to a certain number of participants).

For clarification and questions, please contact our Regional Market Manager for East Africa, Mr. Daniel Wanjohi at +254722481012 or dwanjohi at cleancookstoves.org.

Sincerely,

[cid:ff1064a5-bb87-4780-afa8-c74af4ebd92e]
Radha Muthiah
Executive Director