[Stoves] [Ethos] ETHOS Discussion about decentalized

Anh ntanh at greengenvn.com
Fri Jan 17 03:59:45 CST 2014

Dear Dean and Michael,

I tried to make pellets from grass, straw, rice husk, leaves too but it was
very hard, so I came up with a stove that burning those biomass w/o making
pellets. I put all those biomass into biomass boxes (metal box) and put the
boxes on the side of the stove, still need dry wood to start but with 2
biomass boxes used, you can replace 2/3 the woods with grasses or whatever
biomass you have (ofc you will not get the same energy as using 100% wood).
Another good thing is that all biomass inside the boxes will turn into
biochar when the cooking is finished. Pls check out our website
www.greengenstove.com for more detail.

As for dry wood, as the outside stove temperature is 90-100oC (at max), you
can dry the woods putting around the stove without burning it. Or you can
put wood inside the biomass boxes, after 1-2 hrs cooking it will be dried,
even partially turn to charcoal.

I m not against making pellets/briquettes but I believe that the
pellets/briquettes would be quite expensive for low income people, in
Vietnam, its surely more expensive than woods (ofc because we have woods).

Also I m looking an easy way to burn the lose charcoal (from straw, grass,
leaves, rice husks, saw dust,... that our stove can make) without making it
into briquettes, that would help a lot encouraging people to utilize argi
wastes to cooking instead of burning it on open fields.

Regards,

Anh Nguyen
General Director
Green Generation