[Stoves] Forestry and Fuel

Samer Abdelnour samer.abdelnour at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 04:04:14 CST 2014

Hi Ronal,

Thanks for your response. Just to clarify, the case study you refer to
is based on earlier work that explores the competitive dynamics of
stove promoters in Darfur, and PPT based on very early thinking for
the current paper. The current paper, which is part of my (yet
defended) thesis, examines how stoves were discursively construed as
being a panacea for the risk of rape in (any) conflict context.

Your assessment of Sudan is spot on. I would also add the immense
resources directed to longtime war efforts, and the related building
of Khartoum to the detriment of the periphery states is also part of
national mismanagement. And the market for charcoal is booming, both
for cooking but also for industry (i.e. to produce heat for small
scale metal working, etc.). Also other reasons of course, for example,
during a 2009 field visit to Blue Nile, some returnee communities, as
a result of poor rains and the cut of support from WFP, thousands
across a handful of villages resorted to eating the roots of small
shrubs.

In the case study you mention, then country director of Practical
Action was involved in some of the first efficient stove projects in
Sudan through CARE. Through his insights and relationships I was able
to meet with some of the early stove developers and designers, and
establish just how much capacity there was in Sudan in the 80s and on.
I also found that USAID central in supporting stove efforts at that
time, and helping to strengthen government and research capacity in
the area.

My comment about stoves being simple relates to the intended
functionality. Burn fuel, produce heat, cook. The designs and
technology behind them are certainly sophisticated, and I do
appreciate the years of dedication scientists and designers dedicate
to design and testing. I would certainly love to see more field
testing, however. There must be ways to get out of the 'controlled'
mindset and develop more effective ways to include sociocultural
factors in the use of stoves. Especially when they are reported as
being able to solve problems that cannot be attributed to cooking
alone.

And yes, much, much more work needs to be done on the smoke issue. I
certainly hope to do more of this in the near future. And like the
topic of violence, I believe the smoke issue demands complementing lab
tests and developing new ways to test stoves in the field. An
interesting paper on the development side is as follows:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb57889/solarcooking/images/a/a8/Bailis-et-al-2009-Arresting-the-Killer-in-the-Kitchen.pdf

Thanks again Ronal and all. I am constantly learning from your
comments on a variety of stove related topics and discussions.

Warmly,
Samer