[Stoves] Fuel and Forestry etc.

Erin Rasmussen erin at trmiles.com
Mon Jan 20 13:17:03 CST 2014

Pish posh Samer, I have read your paper and I find that it ignores the
substantial contributions of the thinkers from the African Gender Insistute
.   The Feminist Africa Issue from 2010 titled "Rethinking Gender and
Violence" is very good, and I think it would be a good one for you to read:
http://agi.ac.za/journal/feminist-africa-issue-14-2010-rethinking-gender-and
-violence

One of the more cogent points is this one from  Sexual Violence in Conflict:
a Problematic International Discourse
<http://agi.ac.za/sites/agi.ac.za/files/3._fa_14_-_feature_article_eva_ayier
a.pdf>   by Eve Ayiera

"This problematic construction of gender and sex is the platform from which
the international discussions and responses to sexual violence in conflict

launch. The resulting conceptual framework affirms a patriarchal social
order which normalises the aggressive, heterosexual, dominant behaviour
associated

with masculinity and the subjugation of females. .... Violence against women
becomes an integral part of exerting power over women and maintaining a
system of male hegemony. Sexual violence is feminised - it happens to women
because they are female. The current discourse on sexual violence has been
astute in analysing the patterns of sexual violence in conflict, but has
failed to interrogate the normalisation of patriarchy as the basis for human
interaction."

To sum up and repeat the point, rape is a form of violence against women
that happens because there is already a context that it's somehow to ok to
be abusive to women. This is a global problem, and is not limited to any
particular country.  Specific instances of the crime tend to happen in a
very specific cultural context, and to be deeply dedicated to understanding
that context is an investment of considerable time and energy.  Also it
helps to have some understanding of intersectionality - which is the
startling obvious idea that people are often subject to discrimination not
just because they may be wealthy or poor, of some social standing or
another, of some color or another, or of some other point of contention.
They may be subject to discrimination for all or none of these reasons, and
there is a considerable ripple effect on their lives and world outlook and
may even have an impact on how they use something simple and utilitarian,
like a cooking stove.

I suggest that you read Eve Ayiera's whole paper. It is very good, and may
help you with your thinking.

I don't mind you raising the issue of marketing stoves.  I actually have
been tracking that meme or storyline that you've been talking about very
specifically. I think it is a poor one, and I'm often surprised how it's
managed to perpetuate its self, but that's not the reason that so many
people build and distribute cooking stoves.

Cooking and eating is a vital activity, it's really at the core of
everything, and improving the well being of others is a vital, and often
generous activity.  Many of us work in this field for very simple reasons.
Babies who grow up in households with good stoves don't die of pneumonia.
Women with good stoves are less likely to die of lung problems. Children
aren't marred for life by burns. Families are able to have time for other
activities, often improving the economic life of the family.  Children have
time for school work. Children with good lighting have better opportunities
to learn to reading writing and mathematics.  Families with access to cell
phones can communicate more effectively with far flung loved ones.  Many of
us have seen the impact of a good cooking stove, and it is profound, and in
the best cases it has a long lasting positive change in the life of that
family.  In the worst cases, it does the opposite of that.  I'd like to
believe that we're doing our best as a community to contribute to the best
case scenarios.

Kind regards,

Erin Rasmussen

erin at trmiles.com