[Stoves] [Gasification] Mk2 Chip Guillotine

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 13:21:42 CST 2014

Dear Jason

A common enough machine with the right blade support is a sheet metal
treadle operate notcher. This machine is normally manually operated even in
large workshops.

Here is one

>From http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=treadle+notcher+sheet+metal
<http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=treadle+notcher+sheet+metal&qpvt=treadl
e+notcher+sheet+metal&FORM=IGRE#a>
&qpvt=treadle+notcher+sheet+metal&FORM=IGRE#a

Doug: I am really interested to know if the angle at which you hold the wood
makes much of a difference to the required shearing force.

I understand from the photos you sent that holding the wood to the side is
'on an angle' but I was thinking of it being held up so the blade cut into
the fibres more like someone whittling wood with a penknife slanted
downwards.

Assuming the feed-in side is well supported (not sure about the offcut side)
is there a reduction in force needed when the blade is diagonally as see
from the side? At some angle the wood would tend to split into 2 or more
pieces as the cut continued. That might be helpful to some.

Thanks

Crispin

Doug,

would your design objective make it feasible to make that cutter foot
operated with a return spring?

Closest thing I can find with a short search is a foot operated grommet
press. http://navyaviation.tpub.com/14218/css/14218_230.htm

Jason