[Stoves] Experiment suggestion

Frank Shields frank at compostlab.com
Thu Jan 23 17:18:51 CST 2014

Stovers,

One question I have been wondering (and wonder if it has been tested) is
what is the most optimum temperature for the fire box? For example will
pyrolysis gasses produced at 450c and sent to the secondary produce a more
or less polluted exhaust gas than one with a much higher temperature fire
box? I know there is a great deal of work that has gone into insulating
stoves, so hotter must be better but I wonder if it really is. TLUD do not
burn that hot I'm thinking. And if a cooler fire box does just as good a job
as a hotter one we could produce more char rather than just burn it up well
away from the pot.

An experiment to show this might be to take a furnace placed on its back
with no primary air. Fit a burner on top where the door was, fill with fuel
and set the temperature at 450c. Check the emissions after the secondary.
Keep increasing the heat using new biomass and plot a line of CO2 and
particles. We could determine the optimum temperature for the fire box or
maximum needed.

Regards

Frank

Frank Shields