[Stoves] [biochar-production] Continuous TLUD for cooking

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Wed Jan 29 12:54:28 CST 2014

Antony  - with eleven ccs

	1.  First note nice help offered by Alan Cave in several messages yesterday.   They did not include your original request below.

	I agree with his remark that the continuous Belonio stoves that you found at Paul Anderson’s sites are down draft (BLDD) - and that may be the best way to go.  At the recent ETHOS conference I do not recall this topic coming up.  (I wrote 3-pager on that conference - available at the stoves site.) The reason is the strong emphasis on stoves that cost $10-$20 - and I doubt we can ever see continuous feed stoves in that price range.  I talked to Dr. Belonio a good bit over the last weekend, but this topic did not come up.  I include Alexis as a cc, as he is probably the best expert on this topic we have.

	2.   I include the stoves list, because there is apt to be more expertise there on your stove question than on the Biochar-production list.  Tom Miles added because he manages both lists and will have valuable thoughts.

	3.   I Include Jerry Whitfield, Jock Gill, Alex English, and Marc Pare as they have all written on continuous feed char-makers; but none I think for stoves.  These are probably all horizontal feed (augers, moving grates, etc.).   See http://www.whitfieldbiochar.com   (that is apparently in a “hold” mode).  Apologies to anyone I inadvertently left out who has been thinking of continuous-feed stoves.

	4.  I include Dean Still and Ranyee Chiang as the best way to get this topic into GACC discussions.

	5.  Can you explain more on why you are interested in this topic for stoves?  Do you have an upper price limit or particular stove application in mind?  Would several low cost batch TLUDs operating sequentially in parallel meet your needs?

	I consider the non-continuous aspect of TLUDs as their biggest drawback - so think we should all take this topic very seriously.  I thank you for bringing it up.  In my mind, the other advantages of TLUDs (primarily time savings and money-making) outweigh this disadvantage.  But it would be very nice to remove this disadvantage whenever an application allows the extra expense that seems sure to accompany continuous operation.

Ron