[Stoves] Heat-pipes/thermal-diodes

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Thu Jan 30 09:26:43 CST 2014

Nari:

   After reading about the lanstove, and seeing the word “heat pipe” above Table 1, I still do not understand how a heat pipe is functioning in your system.   The photo doesn’t show much of a distance between the top of the lantern and the cook pot.  Can you provide additional technical description?   What is the working fluid for instance?  What sort of material containing the fluid?  The length of the path for gaseous phase before recondensing?   Anything on costing, efficiency, etc?

   Also it seems that most of the power is going into lighting.  Can you describe how you calculate the very high (Tier3/4) thermal efficiency that you cite.  This is sort of like making charcoal, and properly accounting for the energy not getting into a cook pot.

  How much of the energy in the lighting is getting to the cook pot?

  Any reason that you could not add char making to this very clever arrangement?

  What sort of customer is buying these?

Ron