[Stoves] Heat-pipes/thermal-diodes

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 11:36:47 CST 2014

Dear Ron

".my interest is on biomass stoves and the ability to feed multiple pots
from a single flame."

Do you have an application in mind? A place and perhaps pot sizes?

Many of the Indonesian stoves are multi-pot  with a commercial activity on
the first hole and cooking, water warming and anything else from drying wood
to clothes on the third, if it is there.

I see a general problem with trying to heat 'heat pipes' and then transfer
it to the cooking vessels which is that collecting the heat on the pipe is
much harder than collecting heat on a pot bottom with something pretty cold
inside.

Suppose the pot is 100C, and the applied heat is 200 C. It means the fire is
passing heat from the hot gases at perhaps 700 to the heat pipe at 220 (at
least). This is less efficient than heating the pot directly at 100.

The great advantage of heat pipes is for drawing heat on demand from a
reservoir to a heat sink that is vertically above it.