[Stoves] Energy units

Frank Shields frank at compostlab.com
Thu Jan 30 13:50:55 CST 2014

Dear Kevin and all,

Just for the fun of it..

That is the energy taking 87818 grams of H2O going from a solid state to a
liquid state. Solid state must be 0 deg C (?) so it's the energy taking it
from 0 solid to 0 deg liquid(?).

Like going from water 100c to a vapor 100c it takes 2256 kj/kg energy for
that transformation. Is there also needed energy going from ice to water?

12000 BTU / 83.3 lbs solid H2O

144 BTU / lb ice = 144 BTU / 454 g ice or 0.317 BTU / g ice

1 BTU = 1055 J

1055 X 0.317 = 334 J / g ice

So for every gram of ice it takes 334 J energy to turn it into liquid?
Staying at 0 deg C ?

Thanks

Frank

Frank Shields