[Stoves] Key differences of performance test protocols for household biomass cookstoves

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Fri Jul 4 12:40:00 CDT 2014

Dear Otto

The claim, if presented as a comparison between the energy that goes into a
power station compared with the fuel burning in a stove is an apples and
oranges comparison because the energy that went into making the wood is not
considered.

It is presented of course in a patently misleading manner as if an open fire
is 'efficient'. It depends on how much of the tree is wasted in the field,
how much is lost during ignition and how much is left smouldering after the
cooking is finished.

It is this sort of thing that gives stoves projects a bad name.

As for time to boil, a Vest stove will boil water at a rate of 3 minutes per
litre measured from the time of ignition, i.e. light the match and start the
clock, and it will boil 2.5 litres in 7.5 minutes. That is much faster than
anything on the chart. I wonder why it is not included as it has been
available for 10 years. The Peko Pe has been available much longer.

The way to really misrepresent the performance of a stove in terms of its
fuel consumption is to calculate the energy used in the fire rather than the
energy that was standing in the forest when the fuel cycle started. Then
compare it with the energy in the ground that needs to be dug up to make
electricity.

The numbers quote for an induction cooker are clearly wrong. Yixiang Zhang
and I looked at every model available in a Chinese mall and none were less
than 88% efficient. So even the worst of them, from, power station to hot
water, is more efficient that the most perfectly operated open fire not
counting forest losses and burnout.

And that's enough of that.

Crispin