[Stoves] scoping out a practical solid fuel stove igniter

Richard Stanley rstanley at legacyfound.org
Mon Jul 7 12:47:21 CDT 2014

David, et al,
Thanks;  it's a good start
….suppose one were to put that in a  cartridge or easily segmented slice of same (guillotine cuts off a wad) which drops into / read, is  dispensed by / turning a simple knob or nice looking lever (candy dispenser??) which both ignites it and drops it down into the combustion chamber atop or beneath  a small segment of the  fuel in the combustion chamber ( the fuel itself being of a continuous feed design) and you've got it for modern mankind, crippled and spoiled as we are…
This or some analogue of it made as integral to a stove or as modularly adapted to it, is what we could all use.
         Thats nice in theory but to me, in retrospect, what i'm proposing sounds too complicated ---back to the drawing board...

For our part we have made up cone topped briquettes with a narrow easily ignited rim top.
 We have also soaked the briquette end in foots of local oil pressing operations or wax or other then all you need is a spark lighter or your suggested low tech version of gun cotton. Did such in south Africa with Kobus venter and John Davies in 2004 - 6 to enhance easy lighting but the spark or ignition element was yet to come.

It seems that any such igniter would have to  address only a small faction of the fuel (rather than attacking the whole mass as we now do), to start it up.

Who else can make more practical sense of this ?

Really it's a bit outside my baliwick(pardon the pun)

Richard Stanley
www.legacyfound.org
Ashland Oregon
NW part of the US part of the Americas