[Stoves] scoping out a practical solid fuel stove igniter

Richard Stanley rstanley at legacyfound.org
Tue Jul 8 16:03:27 CDT 2014

David crispin et al . Anybody ever watch the series Orang is the new Black... In episode 10 or 11 last night i saw the use of a foil gum wrapper usd to short out a everyday double A  battery . It heated up instantly burns up the foil  in a puff of smoke at a temperature which then instantly ignites the sugar dusted paper backing in the foil, providing a perfect cigarette lighter in that igniter fuel less environment... Hmm...
Sure bits of liquid fuel ignited by piezoelectric spark or Franz's solution are great too but in terms of replicability for reaching a really widespread audience with an easily replicated, locally produced solution, the gum wrapper & AAbattery cell igniter has got to move up as a front runner in the list of options. Questions arise as to energy consumed as against battery capacity of what 2000-2500uA. And cost . What are the numbers ?
Richard

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 8, 2014, at 10:49, "David G. LeVine" <dlevine at speakeasy.net> wrote:

On 07/07/2014 01:47 PM, Richard Stanley wrote:
> For our part we have made up cone topped briquettes with a narrow easily ignited rim top.
>  We have also soaked the briquette end in foots of local oil pressing operations or wax or other then all you need is a spark lighter or your suggested low tech version of gun cotton. Did such in south Africa with Kobus venter and John Davies in 2004 - 6 to enhance easy lighting but the spark or ignition element was yet to come.

While expensive, piezoelectric igniters (used on gas grills in the USA) might be an acceptable option with a TINY bit of alcohol on a bit of tinder.

Dave  8{)
--

"A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

Bill Cosby