[Stoves] Geopolymer, ceramic like cookstoves

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sat Jul 12 11:53:50 CDT 2014

Thomas:

	1.  I agree.  It is about time.  You have an interesting story to tell - and seem well qualified to be doing this very interesting stove work.  I think I have now viewed all 10 of your videos and more at your (well done) company website

	www.unitystoves.com - which eventually led me to these as well:

https://www.facebook.com/unitystoves  and   http://prezi.com/f4yjjgigf5un/the-unity-stove-concept/

	2.  This list obviously can’t be supporting single companies, and I certainly don’t know enough about yours to want this to be an endorsement.  However, you do seem to have a production approach that is very promising and presumably you can eventually supply materials to list members.  Even if that is not the case, you have plenty of new stove design ideas that I want to recommend all serious stove designers to see what Thomas has introduced us to today.

	3.  Not at all below, but on your website, there is a hope for financial backing.  Since this could be of interest to some on this list - can you describe what you have in mind?

	4.  It seems likely that the main new key feature of your work is what you have called “Ksial”.  Could you explain more on when that will be available from you.  Is it proprietary?  What is behind this most unusual word?

	5.   I found a single 2013 unanswered question on whether you were planning a char-making stove.  This is the only type of interest to me.  The reason is one you have yourself given in the “story” part of your site, where you say:
	 "Just to provide one million stoves will make a huge difference with a CO2e reduction in the order of one million to three million tonnes every year."
That is a carbon neutral number - interesting, but nowhere near the much larger carbon negative number if you had a char-making version  (which should be cheaper and easier to make with your nice mold approach).  And you could still have about the same carbon neutral number you give - and that is obviously important to you.

	6.  I have talked to a few list members about what I consider most interesting and will test as soon as some promised material is received.  Thomas used the term “basalt” - and showed some soft (like cotton candy) “rock wool”.  I hope we can have a discussion of this general class of high temp insulative material.  I am looking (as I think Thomas is) at a more rigid variety.

	7.  Your design (CO5??) with a sleeve in a night-time WBT was very interesting.  Can you share any numerical data for that - and compare to that without a sleeve?  The pot was interesting (new to me) as well.  I hope we can see/hear more of that - with such pots appearing on the market.  I was surprised that you had such a tight fit.

	8.  I hope to stamp out all char-consuming stoves however.  That char is too valuable for atmospheric and soil reasons to be burnt.  I did like though that you made your own char - and the tandoor video showed how that was happening.  With a char-making stove, it would be much easier to obtain that char - and more of it.

	9.  I could go on with a few more observations - but hopefully this note will direct more list members to your most interesting site.  Best of luck in what I hope will be a new surge of interest in low weight, high temperature stove materials.

Again - Thomas - thanks for one of the most interesting stove messages we have ever had on this list.  It only hints at what is at your several sites.   I should add that you have made excellent use of Facebook.  I don’t think I am ready yet, though, to try the same.

Ron