[Stoves] lactic acid

Jeff Holiman jeff.holiman at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 03:00:56 CDT 2014

Dear Dr. Karve and Stovers,

In summary:  what are your thoughts about using biology to concentrate the
acids from fermentation into fats which can be transformed to stove fuel??

Based on inspiration, in part from Dr. Paul Oliver, this rather convoluted
path(s) to biodiesel for cookstoves
<http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?176098-Diesel-Cookstove> from
fermentation of biomass with some more potential for value added products,
including biochar, if EREI could be worthwhile?
from sun->plants-> microaerobic fermentation (MF) -> produces leachate rich
in short-chain acids similar to acid fermentation  -> makes good liquid
fertilizer and / or food source for black soldier fly larvae (BSFL)
production (Alattar 2012)
<http://pdxscholar.library.pdx.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1904&context=open_access_etds>
->
 some BSFL used for fish and poultry feed (Burtle et al.)
<http://www.caes.uga.edu/commodities/animals/aquaculture/catfish/documents/soldierflymagazinearticle.pdf>
and
some used for fuel production Fuel 90 (2011) 1545–1548)
<http://bbrc.hzau.edu.cn/upload/file/From%20organic%20waste%20to%20biodiesel%20Black%20soldier%20fly_%20Hermetia%20illucens_%20makes%20it%20feasible.pdf>
: The fibrous lignocellulosic material remaining following fermentation
used for biochar feedstock after pressing (Instove Technical bulletin)
<http://instove.org/sites/default/files/BriquettePressTechnicalBulletinv1.1.pdf>
 plus
If technology permits:  chitosan from BSFL exoskeleton to make custom media
for contaminated sites  (Zhou 2014)
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24300585> or chitosan can be used to
make graphene coated biochar (Zhang 2012)
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22906501>, also for remediation.

Maybe further optimize process if one first adds leachate to animal
manures?  I would be grateful if you provided your impression of this
strategy.

Kind regards,
Jeff Holiman
Portland, OR