[Stoves] Free GC equipment - Varian Gas Chromatograph -

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Tue Jun 17 09:39:01 CDT 2014

Dear All,    (you can forward this to others who might be interested.)

The message below is a compilation of information about a Varian Gas
Chromoatograph (GC) unit that is available as a donation to a worthy
recipient.    All contacts should be directed to Mr. Jere Hitchcock of
Atlanta, GA, who has the unit.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com

On 6/16/2014 10:02 PM, Jere Hitchcock wrote:

> Look up on Google the following: Varian gc models 3500 It is very
> similar to the 3400 series in this section.  You can get a good front
> view of the unit on the 3400.  Looks almost exactly like that one.
> Your can read up on the unit and how it works.  Basically it sends a
> slug of gas into the unit and it travels some 50 foot (maybe 50 yards
> depends on column) inside a copper column.  The material in the column
> divides and slows down the various components in the gaseous  mix.
> And ionizes (burns) the product at exit.  This produces an electrical
> signal which is proportional to the volume of the product and the
> molecular weight.  As I remember the lighter compounds are first out
> the heavier ones are last out.. this gives you a volume (shown in the
> Y axis) of each gas (or compound) in the mix and the location on the
> graph (on the x axis) determines the compound.  Pretty simple concept.
>
> Inclosed for you here is the link on my dropbox for you to access the
> pictures of the gc...
>
> From Jere:
>
> "Paul, here are the pictures of the gc maybe this will help you. the
> air sample is extracted from the source via a micro syringe and is the
> sample is then inserted into the gc. they can be rooms apart or miles
> apart. this is an ion flame (I think) unit. it is a Star 2500 (?)"
>
> Click here to view vARIAN GC
> <https://www.dropbox.com/l/lLCy2hvD4ODS2SA9Z4ZU1t?>
>
> (Jere shared these files using Dropbox. Enjoy!)

Jere allowed me to compile and edit his messages and to send them to the
Listservs, etc.   He told me it is about 2 x 2 x 2 feet (cube), maybe
100 lbs, and perhaps 10 years old, and in working condition (he has
checked the boards, etc.)

> Let me [Jere] know your interest.  I can possibly look up the column
> which is currently in the unit and you can cross that to see if it
> will separated the compounds you are interested in defining. If not,
> you can get a column which meets your requirements.  It will require
> some carrier gas  and that is measured and delivered by the needle
> valves on the front of the instrument.  I do not know what other items
> you may need. Some of the units are equipped with a printer this
> prints the graph which comes out as the compounds are ionized. This
> unit does not have one.  Maybe you have one [printer] which will work
> ????   At one time this was in the 5 figures of cost.  My price is
> FREE.  It has some value as scrap metal as it contains some copper and
> other metals. Best wishes,  Jere

Persons with useful comments about such equipment can post to the
Listservs.   But note that Jere is NOT on the Listservs and will not be
in those discussions.     Therefore, please make your contacts directly
to Jere who can be reached at 770-402-2738     and    Jere Hitchcock
<jereh at jcranch.com>