[Stoves] SNV results in Camaroon including TLUD issues

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Wed Mar 5 20:22:08 CST 2014

Dear Jeff of SNV and to all Stovers,

Jeff, please send further information (or links to info) about the
Cameroon study of 5 stoves that is briefly introduced at:

http://www.snvworld.org/en/sectors/renewable-energy/news/gaining-a-user-perspective-on-improved-cookstoves-in-cameroon

In that brief intro, we find the following:
> Earlier lab results, which designated the Mwoto gasification stove as
> the highest performing one of the five based on its fuel consumption
> and heating capacity, were not mirrored at the household level, the
> women being overall quite reluctant to utilize a stove whose
> modalities of use differed so widely from that of models traditionally
> being employed.
Observations for all readers:
1.  Mwoto is the TLUD gasifier developed for and used in the BEIA study
by CREEC in Uganda in 2011 - 2012, and is related to the Quad TLUD and
Troika Bingwa TLUD in Uganda by Awamu, and to the Champion TLUD by
Servals in India.

2.  We know from repeated testing that these gasifier stoves are also
very favorably rated concerning low emissions of CO and PM.

3.  Therefore, to have such good results about a stove in the lab and to
have such a poor response for use by the local women in Cameroon is a
cause of serious concern.

I am  calling this to the attention of everyone.   At least in the
context of Cameroon cooking (and the specific small sample (how many
??)), there are questions raised about the user acceptance of the
stove.   And I am asking Jeff to provide very complete details.

There can be numerous issues that related to the stove itself and other
issues that relate to social and cultural aspects of the study as
conducted with the sample of users.    Number of users, length of time
using the stove, instruction on the stove usage (ignition, changing
after batches of fuel, etc), and fuel issues (type and preparation etc)
are all possible sources of accumulating difficulties.

And were there some users who did accept the stove?   And if so, what
characteristics did they have?  If only 10% of the households (not just
the sample) in Cameroon found that the TLUD stove was acceptable, that
would be 300,000 stoves.   (population 20 million >>> about 3 to 4
million households).    And if improvements in the pot supports or
training or fuel supply or other issues could increase the acceptance
levels, the numbers could be even higher.

Question:   If a stove (any stove type) has the desirable features in
lab testing and is superior for health or environment or efficiency or
biochar, how much effort should (or could) be expended to have the best
possible acceptance by the users?    This is a valid question regardless
of the type of stove combustion.   And this question is especially
important in the current case regarding TLUD stoves in Cameroon.

I am delighted that SNV included the Mwoto stove in its study.   NOW we
can discuss some issues that relate to that study and the stove.   And
we can see how similar or different results in other countries can
further enlighten us.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com