[Stoves] Cuber and size of densifying machines. (no longer Re: The wood and char and fuel "debate" )

Crispin Pembert-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Thu Mar 6 11:38:05 CST 2014

Dear Friends

I agree with Dean on this score. The air flow through the pellets strongly
affects the way they burn if the device is constructed such that the fuel
contributes a significant element of air control.

These devices

Are 'cubers' in that they are producing densified lumps that can be put into
a stove. But they will work best in a large stove such as is used in China
for space heating and cooking.  The input material is straw and other
stover.

The mechanism is an eccentric roller running inside a perforated cage at
maybe 60-100 RPM. As Tom notes, power consumption is about 110 kW.

So far I don't think the product is economically viable as there is a
subsidy involved. What we need is a breakthrough technology that will make
densified fuel without the need for heat.

Hi Paul,

I have seen the very small pellets sold for heating stoves in the US burn
very cleanly. Larger sized pellets did not burn as cleanly.

Best,

Dean