[Stoves] Cuber and size of densifying machines. (no longer Re: The wood and char and fuel "debate" )

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 08:50:02 CST 2014

[Default] On Thu, 6 Mar 2014 17:46:38 -0600,Richard Stanley
<rstanley at legacyfound.org> wrote:

>Good point frank,
>Its also about getting the fines  to flow in and around the particles fibers etc., without too much pressure. We use a soupy water (only 20 - 30 percent solids usually) as the carrying agent. It requires a  lot  less pressure  --and results in a lot less wear and tear on the much less expensive machine– than high pressure screw ram melting lignin or even the eccentric roller within a screen die mill. But its a lot less sexy too

>Richard

Richard your system is more akin to papermaking where the fibres are
separated from the rest of the wood and then dry on a mesh which
eliminates the air spaces, paper has a density >1 whereas the dry raw
wood will be around 0.4 and of course chipping increases the bulk
density such that 1m3 of dry wood weighing 400kg will occupy 3m3.

AJH