[Stoves] Calc. void space and pellet particle density

Frank Shields frank at compostlab.com
Sat Mar 8 16:53:30 CST 2014

void space

		1053.17-502.091

52.32574

% voids

			551.079/1053.17*100

Tare a glass narrow neck bottle

Fill with sand -weigh

Fill with pellets weigh

Fill with water - weigh (vol of glass jar)

Calc bulk density of sand and pellets

Weigh a handful of pellets

Add sand > sprinkle in pellets > add sand > sprinkle in pellets until all
pellets are in bottle and topped off with sand

Weigh sand + pellets mix

Calc sand in mix

Calc sand NOT in mix

Calc volume of sand NOT in mix using sand bulk density

Calc. particle density of pellets from wt hand full of pellets / volume of
sand not in mix.

Calc pellet volume in liter bottle when filled with pellets

Calc. void space in bottle left

Calc percent voids from void / total vol of liter bottle X 100

I fill with sand then tap twice on the counter then top off with sand.

This is a sample from a local US pellet source. The bulk density is 0.638
g/cc and the particle density of the pellets is 1.338 g/cc

Void space for air movement in a TLUD filled with these pellets is 52.3%

Instead of sand one can use water or acetone for other materials. The
particle density of sand (or like) I find best done using acetone.

Hope the calcs are correct. : )

Regards

Frank

Frank Shields