[Stoves] stoves 101

Jock Gill jg45 at icloud.com
Mon Mar 10 11:35:37 CDT 2014

Crispin,

A few notes:

FYI: I reduced my secondary air slot by 50% and got better performance.  It is now about ¼ inch.  The larger slot, however, is required for photography ;-)

Here is a thought test.

1. If there is zero secondary air, clearly that is a fail.

2. In my systems, if the draft can is removed, 100% secondary air, the pyrolysis fails -- insufficient draft.

3. So the challenge is to find the "just right" secondary air gap for a given TLUD of a given diameter with a given fuel type.  Adjusting the air gap, is, perhaps, another way to vary the output of the stove.  The more secondary air, the cooler the heat delivered to the target.  This suggests a draft can that can be set at a range of heights?

As for testing, If you put a pot over the TLUD, or, better, in the exhaust gas flow ala the Swiss Volcano Stove, you will rapidly discover if the pot bottom gets covered in soot.  Not good.  Generally, I get a slight varnish of tars if everything is well balanced, but no soot.  These should wash off with ease.  When I see stoves in the field with soot covered pots I know that the combined stove+pot system is sub-optimal.

Otherwise,  I concur with your points.

BTW:  If you would like to see the video, just ask.  It is a 5 meg file I will send you via email -- OFF list.  I have not posted the video to the list.

Cheers,

Jock

Jock Gill
P.O. Box 3