[Stoves] Chris Bradnum's stove makes an appearance

Crispin Pembert-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Thu Mar 13 12:03:11 CDT 2014

Dear Ron

The article was less technically correct that it first appears - that's why
I said not to take number too seriously.

If the CO/CO2 ratio is the metric used to define combustion inefficiency,
then yes it is quite possible for a fire, from ignition to extinguishing, to
have an average ratio of 10%. The problem is people report all sorts of
mismatched metrics so one has to never accept something at face value. It
was good you asked what the efficiency definition was. That is the right
question. I would have given different answers to the question about average
CO/CO2 ratios for average (baseline) stoves.

The efficiency reported in the article is completely backwards. Chris was
talking about the combustion efficiency metrics which is an inefficiency and
the author thought it means the cooking efficiency or something.

I checked on of the HPT test results and I hope Chris is OK with me
reporting it was 30% and that was the overall system efficiency. That is
calculated as: the energy accumulated in the pot divided by the energy
theoretically available from the mass of fuel consumed during the whole burn
cycle. The heat transfer efficiency is of course higher than that.

I only checked one of many tests so I won't report anything else. I just
want you to know where the fuel saving number came from, correcting the
misinformation in the published article.

Other biomass stoves emerging from South Africa make similar claims: Rocket
Works 38% and Vesto 35% calculated on the same basis and burning the same
fuel (Black Wattle).