[Stoves] coffee grounds as TLUD fuel?

Jock Gill jg45 at icloud.com
Mon Mar 17 07:30:47 CDT 2014

David,

I concur with Anh and his recommendation that you use a retort within the TLUD to convert the coffee grounds to charcoal.  I have used the TLUD powered retort approach with wood pellets to show students how a retort works.  I load a one quart paint can with wood pellets.  I put just a few holes in the lid of the can and then use it to seal the quart can tightly.  You can experiment with the number, size and placement of the holes.  In any case, they should not be so numerous or large that they allow air to back flow into the retort can.

With loose, low density, coffee grounds I would keep the retort to a small diameter to facilitate heat transfer across the entire contents.

The retort should then be centered in a one gallon scale TLUD.  I would use wood pellets as the feedstock for the retort. Fill the TLUD such that the retort is buried in pellets fairly near to its top.  Light the pellets.  At first the only syngas will be from the pellets.  Then from both the pellets and the retort.  Lastly the TLUD will self extinguish and the flames from the syngas will only be coming from the retort.  At least this is how it goes when I use wood pellets.  It is important the the bottom portion of the retort be sitting in a good bed of hot TLUD charcoal.  This is what allows it to complete the conversion of the its contents.  Note:  Because you use the hot charcoal to finish the retort, some of the TLUD charcoal will be consumed in the process.  Thus your charcoal harvest from the TLUD portion will be diminished.  You may gain some coffee charcoal, but check to see if NET NET you are ahead of the game.

I  have tried this with light fluffy materials and it is a challenge as the light fluffy materials to not transfer heat well.  This will lead to good charcoal at the edges of the retort, but little or no charcoal in the center.  Much experimentation is likely to be required.

Anh is also correct that it is NOT necessary to have the holes at one end of the retort pointing down.  There MUST be some holes at one end to avoid creating an explosive device that could hurt you.

BTW:  Are you aware of the company in Canada that makes coffee logs for your fireplace?  I  believe they mix the dried grounds with wax as a binder.  They burn very nicely -- at least the few I have tried work well in my wood stove.

Lastly, a better use for the grounds might be to create a grounds, charcoal, compost mix to use in your garden.  Folks in my area love untreated coffee grounds for their tomato plants.

Pls keep us posted on your results.

Cheers.

Jock

Jock Gill