[Stoves] About "inverted flames" ......was Re: Trials on TLUD gas burners

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Mon May 5 10:59:26 CDT 2014

Stovers,

I have left below the previous discussion by Ron and me.   And I thank
him for his thoughtful comments.

  But to keep things short, here is a reply to some issues raised (much
snipped and with order sometimes changed:

1.  Ron wrote:
> *I think the diffusion process is substantially similar, in both
> normal and “inverted” flames. *
> *Are there other TLUD photos around I can look at, that show the flame
> appearing between secondary air holes - not over them?*
Inverted flames are conical just like regular flames.   Looking downward
at them, the parts that are over and below the air coming in are the
thinnest and the flame can appear to be absent.   But it certainly is
there.   Meanwhile, the parts of the flame on the two sides of the cone
are seen as much more yellow because of looking downward through
side-wall of the cone, which can appear to be "thicker."  AND, because
the sidewall flames of two adjacent inverted cones are close together,
the flames are joined and appear to be attached to the walls of the fuel
canister.

2.  Paul A. Wrote:
>  In the TLUD gasifiers, the secondary air holes are sufficiently close
> together that the inverted flames are filling the space between the
> apertures of the incoming gas (which is actually air).
I should have written ".... the incoming /_NON-combustible_/ gas (which
is actually air). "      Sorry for the confusion.   The INVERTED flame
is still the mixing of two gases (air and combustible gas), but with the
air in the center of the cone.

3.  Alexis Belonio's most known stoves are with "natural flames" with
the combustible gases being injected vertically into a zone of air, with
his burners looking much like a regular burner of gas fuel.   But Alexis
was discussing with me the inverted flame situation, so my comment was

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com