[Stoves] About "inverted flames" ......was Re: Trials on TLUD gas burners

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Mon May 5 11:32:53 CDT 2014

Dear Paul

At some point Alexis changed from or was it to a premixed flame. A premixed
flame is like what you get from a standard gas stove which entrains air in
the gas in the long tube leading to the round burner.

If the flame is premixed it is shorter.

You might write to Alexis to ask what the present configuration is. I know
that he has too much excess air in the current models and it was caused by
the switch from one to the other - I just can't remember at this time which
it was. The burner was created for, I think, an unmixed flame and he
switched to premixed. That means the air supply for the flame should have
been reduced the amount added in the premixing, leaving the flame in a high
EA condition reducing the temperature and heat transfer efficiency.

Alexis demonstrated the new one at the Bangkok meeting for the GACC Roadmap.

Stovers,

I have left below the previous discussion by Ron and me.   And I thank him
for his thoughtful comments.

 But to keep things short, here is a reply to some issues raised (much
snipped and with order sometimes changed:

1.  Ron wrote:

I think the diffusion process is substantially similar, in both normal and
"inverted" flames.

Are there other TLUD photos around I can look at, that show the flame
appearing between secondary air holes - not over them?

Inverted flames are conical just like regular flames.   Looking downward at
them, the parts that are over and below the air coming in are the thinnest
and the flame can appear to be absent.   But it certainly is there.
Meanwhile, the parts of the flame on the two sides of the cone are seen as
much more yellow because of looking downward through side-wall of the cone,
which can appear to be "thicker."  AND, because the sidewall flames of two
adjacent inverted cones are close together, the flames are joined and appear
to be attached to the walls of the fuel canister.

2.  Paul A. Wrote:

 In the TLUD gasifiers, the secondary air holes are sufficiently close
together that the inverted flames are filling the space between the
apertures of the incoming gas (which is actually air).

I should have written ".... the incoming NON-combustible gas (which is
actually air). "      Sorry for the confusion.   The INVERTED flame is still
the mixing of two gases (air and combustible gas), but with the air in the
center of the cone.

3.  Alexis Belonio's most known stoves are with "natural flames" with the
combustible gases being injected vertically into a zone of air, with his
burners looking much like a regular burner of gas fuel.   But Alexis was
discussing with me the inverted flame situation, so my comment was correct
when I wrote:

And also, Alexis Belonio was advocating in January 2014 at the Aprovecho
Open House about some form of spreading the gases that need to reach the
secondary air that is coming in from the sides.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu <mailto:psanders at ilstu.edu>
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com <http://www.drtlud.com>