[Stoves] CHAR-gasification for IC engine operations --- was Re: [biochar] Julien Winter: a soil scientist in name but not in practice.

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Fri May 9 10:02:10 CDT 2014

Crispin and all,

(First statement is well known by you and others, but sets the stage for
the next comments.)
Char-gasification gives quite clean gases and is different from biomass
gasification in which pyrolysis gases are also produced and must be be
dealt with (removed or converted to cleaner combustibles.)

Most of the 1 to 2 million "gasifier vehicles" during 1930 to 1945 were
with CHAR-gasification.   But the forests were being depleted by the
char-making, so interest shifted to gasifiers of raw biomass (mainly
wood, resulting in "woodgas").   When WW II ended, petroleum took over.

So, you are correct that CHAR-gasification can give the energy for
internal combustion engines.

NOTE:  With more sophisticated equipment (and costing more money), raw
biomass can and is being used to give gaseous fuel (often called syngas
or producer gas) to IC engines, as is done by All Power Labs and by much
larger gasifier systems, but that is a very different topic and is the
focus of the Gasification Listserv (which has almost no discussions
about TLUD gasification or stoves).

Two main things have changed since 1945 concerning the topic of
CHAR-gasification for engine operations:

1.  Vast improvements in engine technology (although focused on fossil
fuels, not on CHAR-gas.)

2.  The advent of the TLUD technology has placed char-production as a
by-product or co-product of household cooking with biomass (plus the
advantages of better health from cleaner cooking when the TLUD stoves
are made and operated correctly).

There is still some activity about CHAR-gasification for engine power.
The focal person in the USA is Gary Gilmore, a forester in western
Pennsylvania.   Gary leads a small group with a listserv about this
topic.   I request that Gary (who is receiving a copy of this message
and is on the Biochar Listserv -- but not on the Stoves Listserv) send
us a summary/introductory statement and website addresses, etc., and
help us all get up to speed on this important topic.   I have met Gary
and affirm that he is innovative, solid with the technology, generously
helpful, and an actual user of char-gasifiers in several functional devices.

Comment:  As Crispin points out, this is ANOTHER possible
use/destination of char from char-producing stoves and larger devices.
The use are:

a.  Burn the char in appropriately designed charcoal-burning stoves.
b.  Place the char into soils, as biochar.
c.  Consume the char in char-gasifiers to produce combustible gases for
IC engines for generating electricity or motive power.
d.  Waste the char (by letting it smolder away uselessly or by dumping
it in useless places).

Note that both b. and d. (the dumping part) above result in carbon
removal from the atmosphere, and are therefore favored by some.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com