[Stoves] Natural draft TLUD turn-down

Julien Winter winter.julien at gmail.com
Thu May 15 22:48:16 CDT 2014

Dear Kirk and list;

Thanks for the excellent pdf on how to sustain the gas fire at low primary
air rates.  We need more pdf reports, don't we.

I once tried keeping a small amount of charred wood pellet fuel perched on
a wire basket in the secondary air stream at the top of the combustion
chamber.  My test was not very successful, because at the time I was trying
to use straw as fuel, and there were not unexpected difficulties.  In fact,
not even a propane torch would ignite the smoldering, smoky mess.  I had to
shut-down quickly before the fire brigade arrived.

Another half-baked notion was that passing pyrolytic syngas through a bed
of hot charcoal could crack some of the larger molecular weight
hydrocarbons.

I think a problem with this idea is that it burns the perched charcoal too
quickly. I haven't followed it up.

Cheers,
Julien.

--