[Stoves] Clinker Formation

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Fri May 16 09:59:49 CDT 2014

Shailendra,

The composition of bagasse varies  considerable. We have gasified and burned very clean bagasse and very dirty bagasse. The larges variation comes when the cane tops and leaves, called “trash”, are included with the cane as it goes through the mill. The tops and leaves contain high concentrations of sodium, potassium, sulfur, and chlorine and low concentrations of silica, calcium, and magnesium. The balances of these minerals determine the melting temperatures of the ash mix and whether particles stick together as agglomerates or melt and fuse like glass. The plant takes up salts from alkaline soils which is not always cleaned in the sugar extraction process. This increases the concentrations of low melting compounds of chlorine (KCL, NaCl) and sulfur. Straw and other agricultural residues that contain annual growth have very high levels of potassium. The proportion of potassium to silica determines if the silica will become sticky or melt. The more potassium, the lower the melting temperature.

Melting temperature measured I the lab are usually not accurate because they use methods appropriate for coal in preparing the samples to be tested, not biomass. For coal the fuel sample is ashed at 850C or 900C. That vaporizes elements that are important to melting. In Europe and North American labs the fuel sample is prepared at 550C or 600C which is below the vaporization temperatures. Then when the ash is heated it will melt at more typical temperatures.

Pellets are dry so they burn at very high temperatures ( 800-1000 C). To prevent slagging you need to burn the fuel in stages. The first stage includes drying, de-volatilization,, pyrolysis (heating) and gasification (partial oxidation). You must control the air at that stage on the grate so that temperatures do not exceed 750 C. This is usually done by limiting air through the fuel pile. When the gases emerge above the fuel pile you can add air and increase the temperature, usually to 800-900C. Then you must have a mechanism for removing the dry ash. If it remains exposed to the hot flame it can stick together (sinter) or melt ()fuse) to ash.

Stages combustion in a pellet burner can be a challenge. Most pellet burners are designed to burn the fuel and air mixture at the highest temperature which is usually in the range of 1000C- 1100C range which will melt most dirty fuels.

Another approach is to add minerals to the fuel ,like dolomite or kaolin clays, that contain high proportions of calcium or magnesium. These minerals will raise the melting temperature of the mixture and reduce sintering or slagging.

Tom Miles