[Stoves] Natural draft TLUD turn-down

Lloyd Helferty lhelferty at sympatico.ca
Wed May 21 12:37:19 CDT 2014

Crispin,

   Indeed this is quite useful info.  I knew about DD combustors and
have also seen them in operation (at /Chip Energy/ in Illinois during
"CHAB Camp" in 2010)... and have seen the way the char could be
"extracted" from the 'base' of their gasifier "at just the right time"
using a simple screw conveyor hooked up to one side of the gasifier
chamber, prior to where the ash was pulled off ~ which also allowed the
DD unit to operate at "full load" (complete combustion to ash) or in a
'mode' that allowed for char take-off (at the user's discretion -- by
simply turning off the char extraction conveyor).
   It was the type of system I would /probably/ be looking for, but on a
somewhat smaller footprint -- since the /Chip Energy/ DD system was
mounted inside a 20ft shipping container.  However my client has only a
very limited amount of space (~4ftX4ft), and I also wanted to get more
info about /other/ devices that may be out there (available on the
market) before deciding on any particular technology. Do you know if All
Power Labs <http://www.allpowerlabs.org/> has anything smaller than the
"power pallet"? (As far as I know they also do not make their BEK
anymore either.)

  Do you have more info about that "biomass burning DD stove /that/ was
produced in Swaziland and test marketed around Johannesburg in
2004-2005" and/or the "Wood burning BLDD 6" from Johannesburg?
   A website? Spec sheets? A key contact in Swaziland/Johannesburg?
Pricing??

  My task right now is to bring forward and present three [3]
char-producing technologies to my client so that we can review them and
decide how to move forward based on the specifications, price, features etc.
  While we are only at the "information gathering stage", it would be
good to have as mush concrete info as possible from as many technology
providers as possible so that we can make an educated decision about how
we will move forward (i.e. whether to purchase 'off-the-shelf' ~ if
available ~ or to use some kind of 'open-source' plans to build a unit
ourselves ... with the final decision likely coming down to the all-in
cost -- including labour, shipping etc. etc.).

P.S. I don't need any info about the lignite-burning BLDD 3 (developed
in Mongolia) since I doubt that we will ever be using/burning "50mm
semi-coked briquettes".

P.P.S. Does anyone know info about Greg Manning?  I was once told that
he had built a Downdraft 'rig' in Brandon, Manitoba that allowed for
"unattended operation". Apparently he had developed an 800 lb "side
bunker hopper" gasifier unit (with integrated Drying Process) that ran
about 7lb/hr (of chips) for ~ 4 3/4 days (unattended).

--
P.P.P.S. Yes, it was a bit annoying to read so many (incomplete)
messages in a row from you. It seems that "BlackBerry 10 smartphone"

Regards,

   Lloyd Helferty, Engineering Technologist
   Principal, Biochar Consulting (Canada)
   www.biochar-consulting.ca
   48 Suncrest Blvd, Thornhill, ON, Canada
   905-707-8754
   CELL: 647-886-8754
      Skype: lloyd.helferty
   Steering Committee coordinator
   Canadian Biochar Initiative (CBI)
   CURRENTS, A working group of Science for Peace
   http://www.scienceforpeace.ca/currents/
   President, Co-founder & CBI Liaison, Biochar-Ontario
   National Office, Canadian Carbon Farming Initiative (CCFI)
   Organizing team member, 2013 N/A Biochar Symposium:
     www.carbon-negative.us/symposium
   Member of the Don Watershed Regeneration Council (DWRC)
   Manager, Biochar Offsets Group:
            http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=2446475
    Advisory Committee Member, IBI
   http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1404717
   http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=42237506675
   http://groups.google.com/group/biochar-ontario
   http://www.meetup.com/biocharontario/
   http://www.biocharontario.ca
    www.biochar.ca

"Producing twice as much food with diminishing resources, without further loss of natural habitats and biodiversity and in a changing climate may be the greatest challenge facing humanity."
    - Lloyd Helferty