[Stoves] Guatemala meeting about tests and standards

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Sat Nov 22 15:19:49 CST 2014

Dear Paul

I asked SABS (South African Bureau of Standards) staff (who I represent) if
we are allowed to make documents like the new work item proposals and
minutes available to non-members, meaning people outside the national
committees. They said generally no, those are documents accessible to the
national standards bodies only (and their committee members).

On the other hand there is a lot of interest on what is happening. I can
report personally that several discussions were held on what 'shape' the
future standard should have (tiers or not, for example) and the decision
came down on the side of 'no tiers'. With respect to the WBT (the GACC is
presently the custodian of it) this was also turned down. The preference is
for a testing framework - first proposed in Nairobi and discussed in some
detail in Guatemala. The reasoning is that there are so many different
environments in which stoves are used, it is not possible to imagine a
single, rigid test that will helpful rate performance in all nations. What
needed, it was agreed, is a testing framework with valid sub-tests which can
be used if appropriate for the fuel, device or circumstances.

This is already widely done in other industries. Building energy efficiency
is one example, and all the social sciences. The same applies in the EU
where a single omnibus standard applies to a huge range of cooking
appliances. So it is a matter of keeping up, not reinventing the wheel.

In terms of attendance, a lot of people had trouble getting visas to
Guatemala. The total was about 65. That was for 4 Working Groups. Only two
met at a time and all were invited to attend anything of interest. As a
percentage, there were more people with some standards background than in
Nairobi. We saw some new faces.

Regard
Crispin