[Stoves] Help with rocket stove for Cameroon

Huck Rorick huckrorick at groundwork.org
Sun Oct 5 17:15:23 CDT 2014

Hi All,

We have been looking for an improved wood cookstove for our ultra-low-cost
housing program in Cameroon (To see more about the program check our website
at http://www.groundwork.org/English/projects.html and click on topics under
Cameroon for overview and details of "Conditions in Besongabang, Cameroon").

We are looking to meet 2 criteria that seem to be a bit uncommon: 1) A
chimney, 2) A waist high working surface.

I saw a stove that looks very interesting, the InStove Institutional stove.
It is too big for our use but I am wondering if there is anything like it
that is smaller?  It has several features that are attractive for our
project:

*	It uses fuel reasonably similar to what people in Besongabang are
accustomed to use.  (As opposed to TLUDs which are quite different in fuel
requirement and handling and fire management.)
*	It has a chimney so that there is almost no indoor air pollution.
*	You can extend cooking time easily by adding more fuel or reduce
time by removing or not adding.
*	It has excellent thermal efficiency.
*	It has remarkable performance and emissions numbers.  They say
category 4 in 9 of 10 categories and category 3 in the remaining one.  Here
is their chart.

3rd party test results at
http://instove.org/sites/default/files/InStove%2060%20and%20100L%20ISO-IWA%2
0Performance%20Report.pdf

This is a diagram of the stove:

Some key questions for us:

*	Can it be scaled down to household size?  I understand that larger
stoves have generally performed better.  What's the best we could do with a
smaller stove?
*	What materials does it use?  Will it be affordable?  For example,
does it use some expensive high tech insulation?

Can anyone suggest smaller rocket stove designs that we might consider?  We
need at least one specific set of plans we can follow for a test unit.

Thanks for any help,

Huck

Huck Rorick

Executive Director