[Stoves] Help with rocket stove for Cameroon

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Mon Oct 6 14:43:05 CDT 2014

Oh:I wasn't talking about sending a stove anywhere. Just mentioning a major
upgrade for anything that has side fed sticks and a firs on the floor.

I think the advance is fundamental and can be applied to almost all Asian
stoves. I had a couple of grates made, one from cast iron and another couple
from re-bar. The round rebar were the best - something to do with the curve
and bar spacing but not clear what the full details are.

The bar spacing is important - about 4 or 5 mm gap and 12mm bars. Generally
speaking all grates have bars that are too far apart. As a result of the
gaps being large, the char falls through and fails to burn usefully. Jikos
with big holes have the same problem.

Thanks Crispin,

but then issue then is getting what ever here. A stove can cost 25.00 and
then it costs 200.00 dollars to ship it here.

Michael

Dear Michael

There are a couple of other alternatives in use. One is the grate developed
by the Rocketworx people in Durban. This seems to be very effective at
getting the char burned to ash with very little remnant (means high energy
from available fuel).  The other is the Improved Keren Stove which was
developed at YDD in Indonesia in 2012 that has a tilted grate, very low to
the floor. It is about 20mm high on the near (fuel feed) side and 40mm at
the back. This also has an air entrance at the back about 20 x 40mm
(rectangle). The grate bar spacing is important, as is the shape.

This also burns virtually 100% of the fuel put in. The additional
modification to the Keren stove is to lower the pot significantly on the
stove body to serve as an excess air controller. The traditional pot rest
height was FAR too high - about 25mm.  At 7mm it controls the excess air to
a reasonable level.

The combination plus one other modification increases the thermal efficiency
from ?16% to ?33%.