[Stoves] health impact?

nari phaltan nariphaltan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 04:56:12 CDT 2014

Some light on this aspect can be gleamed from this article given below .
All aspects of rural development should be done from a personal perspective.
www.nariphaltan.org/roadmap.pdf

Cheers.

Anil

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 12:27 PM, Marc-Antoine Pare <marcpare0 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> A big confession: having tinkered with stoves for years, I never actually
> looked into the numbers of stove health impacts. I'm trying to fix that,
> and I hope you can help!
>
> I mean, yes, I can wave my hands about PM and CO and four million deaths!
>
> But how many deaths (or DALYs) do you avert per stove? Or per 10,000
> stoves? Or per 100,000,000?
>
> I thought it would be an easy question to answer, but it's turning out to
> be quite tricky to even ballpark.
>
> Here is one interesting source. This is from the very recent webinar on
> Kirk Smith's HAPIT tool.
>
> http://www.cleancookstoves.org/resources_files/hapit-results-rwanda.pdf
>
> This report considers 25,000 households.
> If you provide all of those households a rocket stove, you save only 0.75
> lives per year.
>
> If you take the GACC's target 100,000,000 households, that would mean
>
> 0.75/25000*100000000 = *3,000 lives saved* worldwide annually.
>
> What am I missing there? This seems so small.
>
> Some speculation:
>
> Kirk Smith mentions in the HAPIT webinar that even a small amount of PM2.5
> is still harmful. Perhaps biomass stoves just don't get the number low
> enough?
>
> I think this would fit with the chart in the linked PDF that shows that
> stoves only reduce deaths by <5% for indoor air pollution. A few times in
> the HAPIT webinar, they mention "a lot of lives are still left on the
> table."
>
> This also seems to agree with something I found in Christian L'Orange's
> dissertation:
>
> http://digitool.library.colostate.edu///exlibris/dtl/d3_1/apache_media/L2V4bGlicmlzL2R0bC9kM18xL2FwYWNoZV9tZWRpYS8yNDYyOTQ=.pdf
>
> Figure 33 shows that Envirofit G3300 stoves only have a 3% (or so) impact
> on "Adjusted Relative Risk" (of death)
>

> Please do not worry about hurting my feelings in correcting these numbers.
> Am I thinking about this the wrong way around? Have I punched the numbers
> in incorrectly?
>
> Also, I would be very interested to read more good papers on health
> impacts for stoves. It is all really quite interesting work. I feel bad
> that I didn't look at it sooner.
>
> Best,
>
> Marc Paré

Nimbkar Agricultural Research Institute (NARI)
Tambmal, Phaltan-Lonand Road
P.O.Box 44
Phaltan-415523, Maharashtra, India
Ph:91-2166-222396/220945/222842