[Stoves] Suggestion for a different method for rating stoves

Frank Shields frank at compostlab.com
Tue Sep 16 16:39:58 CDT 2014

Greetings Stovers,

Suggestion for a different method for rating stoves:

In a block of biomass there is energy and that energy can be used in many
ways: Boiling water, char for soil, char for street vender, heating a room,
biomass left for the next run etc. We can't place values on all these
different parts because that value depends on the worth a person gives it.
But we can split it into percent energy fractions. There are too many
different values to use them as a good rating system for comparing our small
stoves with a single number.

BUT

There is a single value in this process that we can use to rate stoves and
that is Wasted Energy. Each stove produces a single energy waste value. That
is the Total Energy of the biomass -( energy found in the boiling water
(task)  +  found in the left over products). A stove that has the least
wasted energy wins. A stove is picked based on the a) least wasted energy
and b) the value the client gives for the energy fractions.

Wasted energy occurs during combustion and it comes in several ways:

I think the most common waste is when the E450sf  (the 28% of the
solid-fixed fraction (C _> CO) heating the stove body) has done its job of
drying fuel and providing enough heat to gasify the biomass and heat the
gases to optimum temperatures for the secondary - but then continues to
combust biomass until the excess turns to ash. Excess heat in the stove body
is wasted heat. Also the gap(s), drafts and poor design of the stove can
result in wasted energy. This may give the TLUD the upper hand! Depending on
the value the client gives the energy fractions of the stove.

Regards

Frank

Frank Shields

Control Laboratories; Inc.