[Stoves] cook stoves for Cameroon

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sat Sep 20 11:01:33 CDT 2014

Dr.  Lloyd and list

	You have provided answers to all your own questions.   But with a few logical errors in between, so your conclusions are wrong.   See below.

On Sep 20, 2014, at 5:54 AM, Philip Lloyd <plloyd at mweb.co.za> wrote:

> Dear Ron and list,
>
> I think it helps to understand why people use charcoal for cooking.  They use it because transport of wood is too expensive and/or the transport networks are inefficient.
	[RWL:  Clearly charcoal fires are easier to use and take care of.  Less time for the cook.  Seemingly cleaner; little smoke usually (but people die from CO poisoning regularly).  But much of this apparent advantage is removed with the use of char-making stoves.  The main disadvantage of these is they are batch.  The choice will come down to balancing benefits vs costs.
	But you are listening too much to Crispin on the cost of transporting wood vs char.  There was a long dialog on this between Crispin and Dr.  Paul Means of the Burn Design Labs group (Seattle area) - and I for one came away believing Dr.  Means.  When I did this Google search:
	https://www.google.com/search?q=Paul+Means+Crispin+transport+wood+charcoal+stoves&oq=Paul+Means+Crispin+transport+wood+charcoal+stoves&aqs=chrome..69i57.27307j0j4&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=91&ie=UTF-8

these are the first seven items that popped up - mostly in this list archives in the April 2013 timeframe.  I don’t have the time nor inclination to revisit this topic, but I assume you or someone will tell me where the truth lies on the cost of transporting energy for cooking.

[Stoves] Alternative to charcoal - BioEnergy Lists
lists.bioenergylists.org/pipermail/stoves_lists...org/2013.../005504.html
Apr 8, 2013 - At Ethos, I was unfortunately giving a talk when Paul Means gave his talk (the ... transport of charcoal (MJ per ton-mile) is much cheaper than transporting wood ... by Crispin - that charcoal use is superior to cooking with wood.
Gathering data on TLUD stoves was Re: Last ...	Apr 27, 2013
Alternatives to charcoal - transportation & biochar	Apr 18, 2013
More on the Alternatives to Charcoal.	Apr 13, 2013
Replies re illegalities and benefits of char.	Aug 17, 2011
More results from lists.bioenergylists.org
Re: [Stoves] Last? Alternative to Charcoal
https://www.mail-archive.com/stoves@lists.bioenergylists.../msg05087.ht...
Apr 20, 2013 - On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 7:17 PM, Paul Means <p... at burndesignlab.org> wrote: > Hi Crispin, > In answer to your questions. I assumed that the cost oftransportation, > for bulk products like this will primarily be based on ... I aim higher > than that but let's stick to average mediocre wood and charcoal stoves.
Re: [Stoves] Alternative to charcoal "adam-retort" 39 ...
https://www.mail-archive.com/stoves@lists.bioenergylists.../msg05000.ht...
Apr 10, 2013 - If we look at the "continuum" between wood as a fuel, and charcoal as ...Crispin's Proposed Stove testing Protocols are perhaps best for "Full Combustion Biomass Stoves. ... At the recent ETHOS conference Paul Means and Chris Lanning ... When fairly dry, transport the wood to the users as with charcoal.
Re [Stoves] Last? Alternative to Charcoal - The Mail Archive
https://www.mail-archive.com/stoves@lists.bioenergylists.../msg05191.ht...
Apr 27, 2013 - There is also Paul M. - Paul Means of Burn Labs, and also Paul O. in Vietnam ... burndesignlab.org>> wrote: Hi Crispin, In answer to your questions. I assumed that the cost of transportation, for bulk products like this will ... I aim higher than that but let's stick to average mediocre wood and charcoal stoves.
Biochar - Groups - Yahoo
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/biochar/.../14956
Yahoo! Groups
Apr 20, 2013 - There is also Paul M. - Paul Means of Burn Labs, and also Paul O. in ... I assumed that the cost of transportation, for bulk products like this will ... I aim higher than that but let's stick to average mediocre wood and charcoal stoves. ... re the processed v.s. unprocessed fuels (char vs wood). Thanks Crispin
[PDF]Micro-gasification: cooking with gas from dry biomass
seachar.org/.../2014-03_Micro-gasification_manual_GIZ_HERA_Roth_...
Apr 2, 2014 - 1.2 Developing cleaner cookstoves for solid biomass? ... 2.0 Cooking onwood-gas from dry biomass – how it works . ..... Fuchs, Pam Jagger, Dr Agnes Klingshirn, Gregor Kraft, Paul Means, Kevin Mortimer,. Crispin Pemberton-Piggott, Dr André Seidel, and Paal Wendelbo for their assistance in reviewing ...
Fwd: [biochar] Third report from Phnom Penh (both stoves ...
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/soil-age/bg3K-sn162A
Mar 21, 2013 - To: Discussion of biomass cooking stoves <sto. ... The key disposable parts are compressed charcoal "chips" of about 2 sq in size. ... Great talk by Paul Means of Burn Lab (Seattle) on the (mostly transportation) reasons NOT to ... will add more are Priya Karve, Paul Anderson and Crispin Pemberton-Piggott.

> Thus, for instance, many towns in East Africa are supplied by charcoal carried in by bicycle from charcoal burners miles from the town.  A bicycle-load of charcoal has the energy equivalent of the branches that can be piled into a three-ton truck.
	[RWL:  Based on all the work by Dr. Means,  I conclude this statement is flat out wrong.  I assume you will provide numbers to back this up or retract.

> The level of deforestation that results is impressive.
	[RWL:  Thanks for this:  Even if your previous statement was true (and I strongly believe it isn’t), we should be doing everything possible to stamp out the horrible deforestation that is occurring in many countries through in-the-bush horribly inefficient and highly polluting (venting not flaring) production of char.
	There is a hugely curious contradiction here - I am advocating as strongly as I can to kill the use of all char for cooking - while at the same time advocating as strongly as I can for making char while cooking.   My reasoning has changed over the years - my char-making stove development started in the early 1990s strictly to save forests - for the exact reason you gave - deforestation.  It started after working for USAID in Sudan - which country has been ruined by its huge use of char (said to be 90% at one time for all energy consumption - certainly a lower percentage now but probably even larger in tonnes per year).
	Now I am driven by a climate rationale.  We now have to not only get to zero added annual CO2, we have to take some out.  My analyses says that biochar is the cheapest means of doing that.  Not free, but cheapest.  Crispin, maybe you, sees no climate issue at all.  He, maybe you, probably still believes global temperatures are going to decline.  I react strongly to this nonsense belief because there are never any back-up citations - only assertions.  Your example of a bicycle vs a 3-ton truck is a good example.
	Apologies for this rant.  Please tell me you believe in anthropogenic warming.  Deforestation (the topic in this part of my rant) is definitely a big part of  the cause of anthropogenic warming - but deforestation is horrible for many other reasons - as you agree.

> The lesson from this is that wood- and charcoal-burning communities do not co-exist – or, if they do, I have yet to identify one.
	[RWL:  On this list we have had numerous reports on the relative wholesale and retail prices of wood and char.  Clearly many communities are doing both - with the more affluent using the more expensive char (being more convenient in cooking).   “Affluent”  here is relative;  the really wealthy are of course using propane or even electricity.  In a while, many of those more affluent will be switching to char-making stoves as the prices of all warming fuels (including char) are taxed (as should be anything causing harm to the environment).
	I hope others who see communities where both wood and char are being used will report that to Dr.  Lloyd and this list.  My guess is that of the three categories of using either or both, the latter is the largest number.

> The other lesson is that making charcoal is energy-inefficient.
	[RWL:  Absolutely - and thanks for the comment.  GACC and many others are causing increased use of char for cooking by only reporting the efficiency of getting useful energy out of the char - and not including the inefficiencies in the making of char.  I read numbers of 10-15% efficiency in making char (on average - it can be made more efficiently in the bush, but a good many loads are lost).  Any TLUD can double these numbers - and some are even better.  Char-making stoves fall into both the carbon-neutral and carbon-negative camps.  There are very few technologies that can make that claim.  We should also be talking of combining char-making stoves with solar cookers.

>  For these reasons no, I can’t imagine people wanting to make money by making char while cooking.
	[RWL:  Since I have disagreed with all your reasons, it must be obvious that I will disagree here as well.  But you have also given no reason why a family making $1 - $2 per day (and not being able to find work many days) wouldn’t want to add even as little as 10 or 20% to that number from planting their own trees and harvesting regularly and making char, while saving time while cooking.  I am not advocating that they go further to find the wood, I am advocating that they raise their own energy - exactly as they raise their own food. That they use smaller and waste biomass that can’t be used efficiently in three-stone or Rocket-type stoves.  And with char being placed in soil (i.e. biochar), they raise more food (maybe double per square meter?) and they avoid the tedium of slash and burn agriculture.  The slash and char Terra Preta phenomenon is real.  Char in the soil allows much greater density of bacteria, fungi, etc - achieved with no (repeat “zero”) extra effort.  If a cook can make $0.20 per day through cooking, most stoves will be paid off in a lot less than 1 year.
	It seems that you and Crispin are not reading anything on the sister biochar lists.  There are many examples listed there of people placing char in soil and in the first year getting double productivity.   Authors who come to mind who read this list and who are also on the biochar lists are Art Donnelly, Sam Craigs, Erich Knight,  Kelpie Wilson, Tom Miles,  Albert Bates and many more.   If you can’t find any such report - ask and I will supply many.  They are all over the biochar space.  I am especially anxious to hear of published reports (peer reviewed or not) that claim the opposite; I see very few of those.
	I am not saying that every char placement will do this “doubling” - but the success ratio keeps getting better every year (due to advice such as using urine additions, right portion of inocculants, compost, etc).
	Last admission - I am writing this in part to offer guidance (as requested) to Huck and his project in the Cameroons.   I repeat that the guidance from Crispin and yourself I find wanting - mainly because I see no citations.  Please note the number of citations I have given above - and my promise to provide more if you can’t find them on the sister biochar lists.  I will be greatly disappointed if I receive no anything on anything I have said above.  Much progress can be made through dialog over disputes over facts.  This especially includes the issue of anthropogenic warming, on which I am trying to spend 100% of my time.

Ron