[Stoves] Frame stoves and biomass boxes.......was...Re: cook stoves for Cameroon

Anh ntanh at greengenvn.com
Thu Sep 25 11:18:11 CDT 2014

Dear Paul,

"Frame" is just a translation from Vietnamese name used for the extra metal frame to support large pots (>50 litters). With that metal frame, we can take the stove out, add more fuel without moving the heavy pot which stay on the metal frame.

The biomass box can be in various side and shape, can be just a metal tube (our first tests). We need to seal the bottom of the box to prevent biomass falling out and air getting in. The top of the box can be open but I prefer to have cap with some small holes (3-4 holes at 1cm diameter), with that we can reduce air getting in (to keep the biochar from burning out) and concentrate the gas output and make a longer flame from the holes.

The box side: can be same height with the combustion chamber, the width can be ~ 1/3 of the combustion chamber, so with 2 boxes you can replace ~60% wood with small biomass (burning time will reduce but you can add more wood/main fuel later to extend cook time)

For small tube type box, you can put in as if it is a wood stick. I prefer the square shape box to put on the sides of the square stove, it will only use waste heat that transfer out sideway to heat the biomass inside, it also reduce temperature of the stove's side cover a bit.

Duration of the box varies depending on biomass type, saw dust is the best, can burn for 15-20 min more (after fire from main wood burnt out).

Limitations:

- it's hard to replace biomass box when it burnt out, need extra tool to replace the box when stove is burning hot.

- some biomass burn out too fast: straw, garden leaves,... so cannot use with too small boxes

Here are some picture of the boxes before and after cooking.

Anh