[Stoves] Testing gases from stoves

Frank Shields franke at cruzio.com
Sun Apr 5 12:51:03 CDT 2015

Dear Crispin,

See below;

<snip>

> The helium is detected as a carrier gas as far as I know how it works. More on that in May.

We can use argon or helium for the bleed gas if one or the other is used as carrier and we can detect the one left as bleed gas. ICP-MS uses argon so lots of labs have argon available. I know I have brought this up before and resulted in no solution - but finding a way to use a bleed gas as surrogate standard is most important for us - as I see it.

> There is a problem in principle with the method you outline below requiring one rather large change to make it work.
>
> The SeTAR's chemical mass balance test method (currently advertised with a heterogeneous test cycle as the standard burn cycle) is not a carbon mass balance method for a very good reason. Carbon in combustion gases, measured and referenced to a known carbon content of the fuel, making the carbon proxy for fuel gas, doesn't work for biomass combustion in cooking stoves.
>
> Hood-based or stack-based emissions measurements that rely on a carbon mass balance method will only work if the fuel is fed into the fire continuously and the production of carbonaceous ash ‎is produced continuously in a steady state device. That is definitely not a wood-fired cooking stove's mode of operation.

Thats because for hood based measurements you have: mg/L X flow rate X dilution = mass of combustion component. LOTS of variables that are poorly controlled and subject to quick changes during the process. To base mg/l per, 0.5 L per minute of surrogate standard cuts all that error because the measure of bleed of a gas can accurately be measured (flow meter and inverted water-filled graduated cylinder filled with the gas for one minute) so emission dilution and velocity is not in the picture. Just two very controlled variables (mg/l and steady surrogate std.).

> What I mean is that the fire might burn very well at high power but not be burning much carbon at all. That is the issue. Later it might burn at a lower power but mostly combusting charcoal. In effect the fuel composition (composition of what is burning) changes continuously and the calculation of a carbon-based mass balance method assumes that it be constant. ‎It is not obvious at first when looking at the formulas but it is an underlying assumption. The method assigns to the fuel gases an attribute it may not possess (a constant carbon fraction) something known as a 'category error'.
>
> Under certain conditions, particularly when igniting wet coal with hot wood, or damp wood, the stove will manufacture oxygen and hydrogen from water from an endothermic water gas shift reaction to such an extent that the oxygen level in the stack exceeds the level in ambient air. In this condition all formulas for combustion performance break down and the answers become ridiculous. In fact they are giving wrong answers long before breakdown is reached but it is not obvious.

If you can accurately measure the combustion gases along with hydrogen, oxygen etc. it is not that they give “wrong answers” but rather there is a wrong interpretation of results. First we need accurate data. Then we re-work the "formulas for combustion performance break down” per the condition and location of that process. First we need accurate data! drawn from different locations during during combustion then develop the formulas for the process.

> Thus I adopted some years ago a different approach using a total chemical mass balance instead of a carbon mass balance and the calculations not only come right the answers are correct (imagine!)
>
> A few people have studied this approach in depth, including Yixiang Zhang, Tafedzwe Makonese, David Beritault, Odnoo in Ulaanbaatar and Harold Annegarn.
>
> The promise it holds is that the chemical mass balance approach can be applied accurately to the combustion of a fuel that is continuously changing it total chemistry. If you use carbon as a proxy for fuel and the fuel is wood, and the stove is making charcoal, you can calculate a number, no problem, but the number doesn't represent what just happened.
>
> Hood-and-velocity systems and mass balance systems both have significant challenges but 'on balance' mass seems to offer some important advantages, mostly to do with the measurement of condensed volat‎ile particles and the issue of wood (well, damp wood) making O2 and H2.

I think if we can come up with a way to eliminate the “Hoof and velocity” systems entirely  We all need to work towards finding a way to do this IMO because only then will your ‘ on balance’ mass stand a chance of succeding.

> Paul and Julien and I are considering holding a brief Test Camp at which this would be covered in a minor class on calculating performance outputs. I am in South Africa at the moment discussing changes to the SeTAR method with Harold that will make the approach 'universal', I guess is the right word.
Wish I could be there!

> Biomass burned in an inhomogeneous manner ‎presents special problems for the tester that haven't been addressed by methods designed for burning solid fuels in a steady state or liquid fuels at a variable rate.
>
> The EPA carbon balance methods, for example, give results that are out in excess of 100% of value when applied to some wood stoves, and that is overall with larger errors during the burn. ‎Some overall corrections can be applied after the test but that doesn't address the problem of real time readings which are the basis of gas mass and PM mass totals.
Surprise! Surprise!

> The chemical mass balance approach seems to offer a way forward.

Regards
Frank in 'hopefully rain today' in dry California.