[Stoves] Stove Corrosion Resistance Testing

Erin Rasmussen erin at trmiles.com
Wed Apr 8 17:08:13 CDT 2015

In addition to particulate monitoring, CO monitoring, and stove performance
testing (of various kinds) it's also important to make a stove of durable
materials, that will be useful and efficient in normal day-to-day
conditions.

    Tim Theiss Presented some data from Oak Ridge National Labs where they
investigated the durability of metals used to build stove, and presented the
results at ETHOS 2015.

The pdf of the presentation is about 10 MB and is on the ETHOS site:
http://www.ethoscon.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/DOE-Tim-Theiss-Combustion
-Materials-Durability-Relationships-for-Improved-Low-Cost-Clean-Cookstoves.p
df

Things I liked about their durability testing:

  - They used salted wood and higher temperatures to test the squares of
metal alloys.

  - They used in situ testing and then figured out a way to mimic many of
the same conditions in a lab furnace.

- They specifically omitted some high performance alloys and materials where
the materials were too costly to include in a cooking stove.  (Not that it
wouldn't be cool to have a cooking stove made from the same material that
you would use for the space program, but I'm glad they were a little more
realistic with regard to price).

If you have questions for Tim, I can forward them to him and the team that
he works with.

kind regards,

Erin Rasmussen

TR Miles Technical Consultants Inc.   http://www.trmiles.com/