[Stoves] Diesel as an excellent fuel for rural households

Energies Naturals C.B. energiesnaturals at gmx.de
Sat Apr 18 13:52:17 CDT 2015

Crispin, Cecil,

what are we talking about? These numbers are highly theoretical!

We live on a small farm in a southern country (Spain).
Animal power is o.k. when you have to make transport works and plow, but for anything stationary, solar is unbeatable.

135 W of solar cost 70$ and work for 30 + years,more than 8 h/d.

A donkey cannot work for 8 h a day year round. Perhaps not even for half of them. Not only it has to rest and eat, but it must be bred, needs at least 4 years until it can really work hard and if you use it like that, it won't have a useful life of 30 y as some claim. And it must be tended, harnessed, cared for....

Ken has done a lot of work on gasification with small stationary engines. As for mobile applications there are solutions.

If there was a market for it, small high compression 2 stroke engines could be produced and make good use of bad gengas.

A small 1 cyl tractor of let's say 12 hp with a simple gasifyer could plow and transport during the day and make raw biomass into cubes for energy by night until larger solar power is cheap enough to replace it.This will be in a few years.
And new battery systems are coming, too.

I am very sure that that way we need less land to be set apart for energy than via animal power, without considering the animals' suffering!

Eating less but better meat, making good use of what we already have in the sense of advanced cooking stoves, local production and energy independence for small farmers can feed a much larger world than going back to animal power conversion.

regards

Rolf

--
Energies Naturals C.B. <energiesnaturals at gmx.de>