[Stoves] Inner color of combustion chamber?

Bamboo Science Group greg at bamboosciencegroup.com
Fri Apr 24 17:12:35 CDT 2015

Dean
Great topic
When I was designing solar thermal panels for INCO in 1979, we used a coating (selective) process (chrome oxide spinel that had a alpha ( absorptivity) of 0.9 and and epsilon ( emissivity) of 0.04) on stainless steel that allowed it to perform at parity with a black oxide on copper ( fin and tube).  The parity was achieved despite the overwhelmingly superior conductance of copper versus s/s.
The high alpha allows absorption of the short wave solar radiation and the low epsilon slows the longer wave radiation emission in this flat plate solar collector application. These "selective" surfaces have cavernous surface area structure, utilizing the peaks and valleys of the coating to slow down the emissivity of the longer wave radiation.

So you want an low emissivity coating for your refractory material to reduce ( inhibit) the black body radiation. SERI could certainly help out in this area as they are acquainted with high-temperature selective coatings for their work on concentrating collectors.

Sent from my iPad