[Stoves] Inner color of combustion chamber?

Dean Still deankstill at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 20:28:46 CDT 2015

Dear Kirk and All,

Generally I think that the study of the TLUD has opened up new thinking
about the Rocket. Super insulating the Rocket (and every other trick to
improve time, temperature, turbulence)  helps to keep only the tips of the
sticks burning and to burn up quickly the made charcoal so the air flow
under the sticks is not blocked. If we think of the air flowing under the
sticks as 'primary' air and the air flowing on top of the sticks as
'secondary' air the intention is the same as in the TLUD. The primary air
controls the rate of reaction (solid making gas) and the secondary air
creates mixing. In the Rocket the flame naturally flows up the back wall
and big open spaces occur near the front walls. Almost no mixing,
unfortunately.

Using the primary air to slow the rate of wood gas production and forcing
the secondary air to mix cleans up the Rocket as in the TLUD.

I'm hoping that Kirk and company will come to Stove Camp and figure out how
to optimize natural draft mixing in the Rocket.

Best,

Dean