[Stoves] Request to get partners in a possible TLUD stove improvement project

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Tue Aug 4 19:40:57 CDT 2015

Stove list  cc Kirk

	From what I can understand, the lowest emission (particulates, CO is easy) values from TLUDs have been from stoves designed and tested (last week) by Kirk Harris.  One reason seems to be that he has achieved a swirl, using (as described on this list often) a fan blade shape.

	I recall a few other uses of the term “swirl”, but know of no significant tests like those by Kirk.

	In recent conversations, Kirk has agreed to be part of an off-list TLUD stove group to investigate a different means of achieving swirl. It seems to be cheap and applicable to most TLUD stoves.

	The main advantage of a swirl is more flame time spent in the stove;  to get low emissions, hot gases, not flames, need to be hitting the cook pot.

	The proposed approach also should increase turbulence.  I do not recall any TLUD that tried to achieve turbulence  (to get the mixing needed for shorter path lengths and more complete combustion).  Anybody know of designs to achieve turbulence other than added disk or washer shapes?

	The reason for not saying much now is to save list members’ time and energy. This is not a guaranteed approach.

	 Anyone joining should want to see this open-source (no patents).

	Anticipated time commitment for a first design - a few hours with tin snips.  Metal cost a buck or two.  Probably can work with clay as well.

	If anyone knows of past swirl or turbulence experiments (or modeling) in TLUDs, your input now could save Kirk and I (and anyone else wanting to join) a lot of time - especially if those results were negative.

Ron

	feel free to call 303-526-9629, if that would help.