[Stoves] Charcoal burning, secondary flame vs no flame

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 02:32:25 CDT 2015

[Default] On Tue, 4 Aug 2015 17:38:22 -0600,"Ronal W. Larson"
<rongretlarson at comcast.net> wrote:

>List and ccs
>
>	1.  I think we should first try to answer the original question from Mr.  Poehlmann - which I take to be whether it is better to burn char in the TLUD or in another device.  I think the exchanges below say clearly that the answer is the latter.

Roberto posted from an unsubscribed address but I thought it an
interesting question  so propagated his question through [stoves],
since then he has not responded despite the interesting replies
received.

Ronal I didn't pick up on the question the way you did. There are many
good reasons for not wanting the char to burn out in a TLUD, one of
which is that one may wish to retain the char for other purposes.
Another is this problem of the updraught fire in the char remaining in
the bottom of the combustion chamber turning into a CO generator. Yet
another is that a TLUD burn subjects the combustion chamber to
relatively low temperatures which a steel can can sustain whereas a
char fire will potentially reach much higher temperatures that are
damaging.

AJH