[Stoves] Request to get partners in a possible TLUD stove improvement project

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 03:15:43 CDT 2015

[Default] On Tue, 4 Aug 2015 23:59:02 -0700,kgharris
<kgharris at sonic.net> wrote:

>These are good discussions on burning CO and swirl.  I know that Aprovecho has developed a good charcoal stove based on experimentation by labratory manager Sam Bentson.  My own experience is much less but I do see in my TLUD combustor blue CO flames in the Venturi gas mixer after the hydrocarbon flames have gone out.  I do not know how thurough this burning of CO is.  My speculation is that thoroughly mixing adiquate air with the CO, and keeping a flame going above the coals, as per Sam's findings, does a good job of burning CO for those who want to burn the char.

Kirk a premixed wood gas flame tends toward blue because the carbon
rich micro "plasma" formed when an oxygen atom strips hydrogen from
the fuel particle and forms the flame is immediately oxidised. In a
diffuse flame there is not enough oxygen to immediately oxidise the
carbon particle so it radiates a yellow light until it too is oxidises
at the edge of the flame.

>Swirl is a method I use for getting more dwell time for the flame in the combustor section of the stove.  Swirl is not used for mixing because the gasses are thuroughly mixed by the Venturi gas mixer before they pass through the stationary fan.  Also swirl is not a good mixing method because it will seperate cooler denser gasses from hotter less dense gasses like a centrifuge.

Interesting observation, this too is what I believed was happening in
my forced draught top lit burner with a kelly kettle as the heat
absorber, the cooled flue gases clung to the inner side of the kettle
and a hot vortex was vented up the middle.