[Stoves] Request to get partners in a possible TLUD stove improvement project

Julien Winter winter.julien at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 20:39:16 CDT 2015

Hello all;

Not all swirls are created equal.  Kirk has created a swirl high up in the
flame to improve the final mixing of reactants and get a clean burnout.

Another kind of swirl is caused by an ambient swirl in the secondary air.
This starts a rotation in the flame right at its base.  The result in
nature is called a fire whirl or fire tornado.  In this case, gases move to
the middle, and vertically 'stretch out the flow lines' into a slow spiral
with a flow that  is more laminar than turbulent.   The result is a taller
flame.   There are some good YouTube vids of this phenomenon.

I did some experiments on ambient swirls last year, and doubled the height
of the gas flame.  That wasn't exactly what I wanted.  I also found that a
swirling flame was more prone to go out at low gasification rates than a
non swirling flame.

I have attached a couple of photographs of my gear.  I had some collars
with vanes that fitted over the outside of tin can risers with holes for
secondary air.  I could modify the ambient swirl by changing the angle of
the vanes.  In another burner, I had a slit up the side of the riser as
well.

A little ambient swirl can be useful to keep the flame from running up the
side walls of the riser, and to encourage secondary air to move toward the
center of the burner, but I am not a big fan of a strong ambient swirl,
unless something can be done to create turbulence.

Cheers,
Julien.

--
Julien Winter