[Stoves] Corn cob burner for making salt

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Sat Aug 29 00:51:02 CDT 2015

Dear AD

The salt in question is from a solar evaporation pan. There is a bottom
layer that is not clean enough to use so it is refined separately in a
boiling process. The output is about 6000 tons a year. I don't know how much
is 'scraped off the top' during the normal process.

To look at, the raw salt is obviously dirty. It is turned into a concentrate
and then re-crystalised.

There are people making salt in Sumba who do not do this. They strain sea
water through mud dug from the tidal zone. To my surprise the salt
concentration using this straining method is higher (24%) than the
concentrate in the refining process (20%).

Additional question: What is the bulk density of a truck of coconut husks? I
am hearing 70 kg/m3. Can anyone give additional opinions?

Thanks

Crispin

Dear Stovers,

it is a great revelation to us in India that people in Indonesia, a tropical
country, use a fire for making salt. Here, the sun does it for us. The use
of sun dried dung cakes as fuel may also not be possible in Indonesia.

Yours

A.D.Karve

***